Spiderwebby Chocolate Fudge Cake




I see a common theme happening judging by my last three posts in that they all centre around one ingredient: chocolate. I know I post a lot of things relating to the stuff but to be honest I prefer chocolate in bar form, or in cookies but not all that keen on cake due to my ultra pickyness, unless it's disgustingly chocolatey. (Note: The Bruce Bogtrotter Cake)


Yet here I am with another chocolate cake. 3 layers of moist, almost brownie like cake layers with a rich chocolate buttercream, decorated in the perfect way for this time of year for Halloween: Strings of marshmallow 'spider webs' and topped with a fondant sugar spider to complete the look.


Halloween has always been a time of year which I have absolutely hated since being a child. I don't see the fun in dressing up (note: I also hate fancy dress) and the concept of trick or treating was non existent in my childhood. It's not like I wanted to go trick or treating either. Sweets were kept to an absolute minimum when I grew up. It's not like a weird oppression thing in my household or anything but my mum never gave us things like that so we didn't feel like we were missing out. I know I more than make up for my lack of sweet things now but I'm glad I didn't indulge in the past- my teeth are thankful for no fillings!

I always just associate Halloween with scary masks and I guess that is what has traumatised me to this day. Yes, yes they're just masks and costume but seriously, some of those costumes are scaaaary as fook. The only acceptable costumes should be cute ones for babies. Speaking of babies- many congratulations to my cousin Mia who just gave birth to her first baby boy! I look forward to seeing some cute Halloween costumes on baby Oliver! 


The other thing I don't understand is cake/desserts decorated in luminous green 'slime' for Halloween. Anything that looks luminous shouldn't be edible. Personally I prefer something a little more classy like below:


To sum up: make this cake if you're like me, who feels like you're too old for this shit.


SPIDERWEBBY CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE

Simple & Splendid Chocolate Cake
From Sweetapolita's Bake Book
Yields 3 8inch layers

320g plain flour
520g caster sugar
120g cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
360ml buttermilk
240ml hot strong coffee
180ml vegetable oil
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract

  1.  Preheat the oven to 180°C and line three 8 inch baking tins with baking paper.
  2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer sift the dry ingredients. In a large measuring jug whisk together the wet ingredients. 
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk on low for about 1 minute. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure all the ingredients are well mixed.
  4. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for around 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  5. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin before loosening the sides with a knife and turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting
Recipe from Sweetapolita

510g softened unsalted butter
180g icing sugar
90g cocoa powder
120ml hot water
120g sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
290g dark chocolate chips (I use Callebaut dark chocolate callets), melted
  1. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until pale and fluffy, around 6 minutes. Sift together with the icing sugar with the cocoa powder in a separate bowl. 
  2. Add the icing sugar mixture along with the water, sour cream, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until incorporated, approximately 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat for another 2 minutes.
  3. Add the melted chocolate and beat on medium for about 1 minute until smooth.
To Decorate & Assemble

50g white mini marshmallows
Black fondant (sugarpaste)
25g dark chocolate/ chocolate chips, chopped

  1. Trim the tops of the cake with a sharp knife (bread knife is perfect) if it has slightly domed during baking. (Chilling the layers in the fridge for a few hours or overnight allows for better cutting) 
  2. Take one layer and place onto a cake board/ plate. Spoon around 100g of buttercream and spread out using an offset spatula/ knife. Place the next cake layer on top followed by another layer of buttercream. Place the final cake layer on top with the bottom of the cake layer facing upwards. Chill the cake in the fridge for around 30mins to let the cake firm up a little.
  3. Cover the cake with a thick even layer of buttercream, using a cake scraper to smooth the top and sides. Note: reserve a little buttercream to pipe on top later.
  4. Here is the messy bit... Melt the marshmallows in the microwave in 10 second increments, stirring in between. Once the marshmallows have melted, let it cool enough to touch with your hands and then taking a small amount, stretch out into thin strings and drape over the cake. Repeat with the remainder of the marshmallow and decorate the cake how you wish- zig zag and criss cross across the top and sides.
  5. Fill a pastry bag fitted with the round nozzle with the remainder of the buttercream and pipe blobs around the perimeter. Sprinkle the chopped dark chocolate on top.
  6. Make a sugar spider using the black fondant and place on top of the cake. If you're not a fan of spiders, this step is of course, optional!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.