Frozen Blueberry Protein Cheesecakes


I've always been a bit sceptical of 'protein' products because usually they come across as healthy/ filling/ good post workout snack/ breakfast etc but often they're just laden with sugar and sweeteners. Low fat products are usually guilty of this.


So when I came across this "yoghurt" (I call it yoghurt but technically it isn't and I'll tell you why later on...) a couple of weeks ago at Tesco sold at a discounted, introductory price I was intrigued. For those who haven't come across this product before, Arla Protein is launched by the UK's largest dairy company, Arla and is a high protein (20g per pot- the magic number apparently when it comes to refuelling after a workout), fat free product marketed towards the gym goers/ health conscious and is available in three flavours: Strawberry, Raspberry and Blueberry. So naturally, I bought all three. 


Looking on the ingredients label, this yoghurt is low fat Quark, a type of soft cheese. Popular in German speaking countries, Quark is made by warming soured milk until desired degree of coagulation of milk proteins and then strained.

There have been a few mixed reviews of Protein online, main complaints being that it's too thick or not sweet enough. With that in mind I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and texture of it when I came round to tasting it. Contrary to many reviews, I didn't find the texture too thick at all- it's comparable to the thickness of any other strained Greek yoghurt and the sweetness was just right, perfect for dolloping on top of some muesli and berries. Yes, it is quite a big pot and to some that may be quite off-putting as most probably wouldn't be able to finish a whole tub of soft cheese in one sitting but I liked it. My favourite has to be either raspberry or blueberry (which is weird because usually strawberry is a sure win for me.) It reminded me of Petit Filous Fromage Frais - I used to LOVE those when I was a kid. Actually, I still do! Thank goodness for the Petit Filous Big Pots. The regular small ones are gone after a spoonful and a half. Anyway I digress…


As well as the 20g of protein you're getting 11-12g ish of sugar, some of which are naturally occurring, some added. It actually isn't too bad compared to some other brands. So aside from eating it on its own or having with berries and muesli for breakfast/ afternoon snack I decided to use these to make frozen blueberry cheesecakes, since I've made lower fat cheesecakes with Quark before anyway (and it worked a treat.)

I don't really know what to make of this creation… Do I really call it healthy? I suppose if you're comparing it to full fat cheesecake then yes, this is healthier but still contains a lot of sugar, even if it's natural sugars. Consider this a semi guilt free treat.

Ok so this is not your typical cheesecake, the base isn't made from digestive biscuits laced with glorious butter but instead is made from dates, mixed nuts and crunchy hemp seeds. I've used Arla Protein here, swirled with some blueberry sauce but feel free to experiment with normal greek yoghurt and other flavoured yoghurts. If you think about it, it's not that weird at all. Froyo, anyone?

One pot is enough for three mini cheesecakes. Top it with some berries and you have a super cute, not to mention beeeauuuutiful looking mini cheesecake.



FROZEN BLUEBERRY PROTEIN CHEESECAKES
Recipe loosely based on recipe by Green Kitchen Stories
Yields 3 2.5" round mini cheesecakes

Base

5-6 medjool dates, softened in hot water and drained
130g mixed nuts (I used a combination of almond, cashews, hazelnuts, brazils)
Handful of hemp seeds (optional)

Topping

1 tub blueberry Protein
50g fresh/ frozen blueberries

To Decorate

100g blueberries

  1. Line the circumference of 3 2.5" circular, high sided food rings with acetate sheet and place onto a small baking tray lined with baking paper (to stop the cheesecake from sticking) 
  2. In a food processor, blitz the nuts and hemp seeds, if using, for about a minute. Add the softened dates and continue to blitz until the mixture comes together and forms a kind of dough.
  3. Divide the mixture between the 3 rings and press down to form the cheesecake base. (I actually had a little more than I needed- so you may find you might not need to use all of it)
  4. Microwave the blueberries for around 30 secs, or until they start to break down and form a chunky sauce. Let cool. Once cool, stir in the tub of blueberry Protein. Divide the mixture between the 3 cheesecake bases and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. 
  5. Place the cheesecakes in the freezer for 1-2 hours to set. When ready to serve, carefully unmould from the food rings and let soften slightly before eating.
  6. To serve, microwave the blueberries for 20 sec intervals until a chunky sauce forms. Let sauce cool and spoon over the cheesecakes.

Notes
  • I suppose you could use cling film to line the rings but I've not yet tried that.
  • Let the cheesecakes soften slightly before eating but don't leave too long (Iound out the hard way) as it may become a one big melted mess...

*I have not been sponsored in any way by Arla; all opinions here are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.