Healthy Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Helloooo... remember me?

Seems like I've been on a blogging hiatus for a while (not intentional, I swear!) But I'm back with something super yummy to share with you guys. 

Summer is in full swing (kinda) in the UK and I'm sure I'm not the only person trying to eat a bit better before going on holiday. The amount of processed ingredients that go into many of the things we buy is, as delicious as they are, not very good for the waistline! 


You may have read here that I never used to be a fan of brownies but now I'm a convert. There's just something so satisfying and indulgent about a gooey, chewy and deliciously chocolatey fudge brownie. 

Maybe I'm just getting old.


But here's an equally as good (in my opinion) chocolate brownie that is waaaay healthier than the standard ones I make and is perfect for satisfying those mid afternoon chocolate cravings. Gluten free/ butter/ eggs/ refined sugar free. Sounds way too good to be true, no? The secret? 

Sweet potatoes.

Now don't look at me in disgust- don't knock it until you've tried it. Various recipes of sweet potato brownies have been floating about all over the internet and admittedly I was a little skeptical at first but the combination of the dates, sweet potato and cocoa powder gives a lovely chewy, fudgy chocolate brownie. Don't get me wrong- these are still high in sugar but it's natural sugar and instead of processed white flour, oat flour and ground almonds are used.


Seriously guys, just go make them and enjoy the amazing guilt free experience of eating these brownies.  They contain only approximately 173 calories, 6g of fat per serving compared to nearly 300 calories and 14g of fat in regular ones. If that's not convinced you to try making these, or you don't end up liking these then er... get your taste buds checked out hey, hakuna matata. 



HEALTHY CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES
Recipe adapted from Gluten Free Vegan Girl
Yields 9 brownie squares


Ingredients

140g sweet potatoes, cubed-approx 2 small-ish sweet potatoes, cooked until soft and mashable! (I used a combination of orange flesh and white flesh sweet potatoes)
10-12 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
85ml milk (I used coconut milk but you could also sub soya/ almond/ regular milk)
2 tbsp nut/seed butter (I used pumpkin seed butter)
1/4 tsp finely ground instant coffee granules
30g cocoa powder (I used Cacao Barry Extra Brute)
1 tbsp potato starch or corn flour
25g rolled oats, finely ground
25g ground almonds
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking powder
30g dark chocolate chunks/ chips

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
  2. Prepare and line a 8x8" baking tin with baking parchment.
  3. Place cooked sweet potato and dates into a food processor and blitz until completely smooth. 
  4. Add the milk, vanilla and nut butter and blitz some more.
  5. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients except the chocolate chunks.
  6. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until incorporated.
  7. Pour into prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle over the chocolate chunks.
  8. Bake for 30 mins, or until a few cracks start to appear on the top.
  9. Cool completely and chill for at least 2 hours before cutting into 9 squares. 
  10. The brownies store well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Notes

  • I realise not everyone has a food processor at home but like me you can just buy a cheap mini one from the supermarket and do it in batches, if needs be.
  • I always find brownies to taste nicer straight out of the fridge. Like on the original recipe, it states you can eat the brownies once it has cooled but the texture will be a lot softer and not as dense and chewy.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.