(Almost Vegan) Avocado Chocolate Loaf Cake

I know, I know - another chocolatey post. I know it's summer and I feel I should be blogging something deliciously fresh and fruity. Lemon tart, strawberry mousse or maybe even a passion fruit and mango cake (these are all just random ideas off the top of my head, by the way...) but there's always space for chocolate recipe, right?  Plus it has avocado in it. And to me, that's reminiscent of summer and summer salads. So there you go...


The problem with me trying a recipe I've seen online- I never really just stick to the original and end up tweaking it here and there. Like this almost vegan avocado chocolate loaf cake. I say almost because I threw in a handful of Callebaut dark chocolate. So, so, good. But feel free to use vegan chocolate if you are vegan, or omit altogether but the cake will not have that extra chocolatey kick.

The first time I'd made this it was so good. My brother didn't even mind it had "healthy bits" in and I recall my sister calling it a 'brownie cake' just because it had that lovely shine on the top, and it was so dense, moist (sorry) and fudgy. So I try making it again. But the problem is- the first time round I'd tinkered around with the recipe so much I can't recall what I'd changed! I'd followed the recipe to a T this time and unfortunately it just wasn't as nice as last time. It's still yummy, don't get me wrong, but I think mine was better. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it for now!


So some may be thinking I'm going completely nuts by using ingredients not conventionally used in baking sweets. Sweet potato brownies, anyone? But trust me, avocado is full of healthy fats and replaces the usual unhealthy but oh so delicious butter in cakes. Not to mention it keeps the cake lovely and moist for several days and is awesome with a cup of coffee. 

I urge you guys to give this a try, whilst I rack my brains and try figure out what I tweaked in the round round to make my Super-Yum-Almost-Vegan-Chocolate-Loaf-Cake.

Honestly- I really need to start writing things down... :/




(ALMOST VEGAN) AVOCADO CHOCOLATE LOAF CAKE
Recipe from Oven Haven
Yields 1 loaf.

188g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium ripe avocado, mashed very well
250ml coconut milk (I used Alpro but feel free to use any other kind of milk)
45g dark chocolate chunks/ chips + a handful to finish.
1 tsp vanilla extract


  1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a 8x4" loaf tin with parchment paper.
  2. In a bowl sift together the dry ingredients, excluding the chocolate chips, of course.
  3. Optional: To ensure I don't get any unsightly green avocado in my cake I blitzed the avocado with the milk and oil in a blender. You may skip this step and just mix the mashed avocado in a bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients.
  4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Do not over mix or else the cake will be tough. 
  5. Stir in the chocolate chunks/chips.
  6. Scoop the cake batter into the prepared loaf, smooth over roughly and just for good measure sprinkle the handful of chocolate chips on top.
  7.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. A few crumbs is ok.
  8. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling tray.
  9. P.S This tastes even better the next day...

Enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Interior designer & part time baker. Lover of architecture, design and all things cute.